There was a lot of hype around emotional intelligence a couple of years ago. Is the concept obsolete? Hardly. Recently I came across an interesting article about emotional intelligence, outlining emotional competencies like self-awareness, motivation, empathy and social skills.
The article includes a list of the 10 habits of emotionally intelligence people, originally created by Steve Hein, check it out:
- Label their feelings, rather than labeling people or situations.
- Distinguish between thoughts and feelings.
- Take responsibility for their feelings.
- Use their feelings to help them make decisions.
- Show respect for other people’s feelings.
- Feel energized, not angry.
- Validate other people’s feelings.
- Practice getting a positive value from their negative emotions.
- Don’t advise, command, control, criticize, judge or lecture to others.
- Avoid people who invalidate them, or don’t respect their feelings.
Do you try to develop your emotional intelligence? You can read the full article here.